Today we were given three workshops to choose from Felt, wire and ceramics. I chose to do the felt workshop as I would love to incorporate different medias into my final piece and felt would be one of them.
- whicker mat
- merino wool
- hot water and washing up liquid
- yarn and colored wool
Stage 1 – laying out the wool
- place your mat onto your towel
- start to pull the wool and lay on your mat all facing the same direction
- one that layer is done pull the wool and place it in the opposite direction
- once both layers are done you can begin placing the felt to create your design
Stage 2 – Wetting & Rubbing
- place the net over the top of your felt piece
- pour hot water onto your piece
- using washing up liquid rub with 3 fingers in a circular motion starting from the middle and working your way out
- when your felt is completely flat (with no fluffy edges) pull off the net
- flip your felt piece, place the net over the top and do the process again
Stage 3 – Rolling & Ringing
- roll up the felt in the wicker mat
- roll approximately 30X
- unroll and turn the felt in a clockwise direction
- keep going until you are happy with the size of your felt
- if necessary dunk the felt into the hot water and throwing it onto your mat
- squeeze and hang to dry
- when dry I then cut out my butterflies from the original piece of felt.
I used my photos I took from the museum to get an idea of what colors I would have to use. The patterns the butterflies had were very intricate and detailed. I had to create these using felt which became really hard, so I decided to not concentrate on getting the detail and work on the color and shape of the butterflies. I had to use very simple shapes as they would get distorted whilst felting.
I am very please with my final outcome of my felt butterflies. I feel that the shape and patterns on the butterflies worked really well. However to get the shape of the butterfly to keep while felting was very difficult. I would have liked to have more interesting butterfly shapes but this was very difficult to achieve. there were many failed attempts to get the perfect butterfly shape. I used my primary research photos that I gathered from the museum.