Our project brief was Organic it was split up into 3 units,
Unit 3: An introduction to drawing skills.
Unit 4: An introduction to the communication skills used in support of art and design and the development an understanding of the role that communication skills play in informing and developing ideas.
Unit 5: opportunity to use previously acquired skills, knowledge and understanding to work toward the solution of a defined 2D art and design problem.
The Organic theme covers a wide range elements for example, natural substances and structures, Flora & Fauna, living things etc.
My target for this term was to keep up to date with all blog work and experiment with different medias. Personally, I feel I achieved these goals, I did this by coming in on my days off to catch up on unfinished blog work and work further in detail in my practical work. The subject I was looking forward to was the mono and lino printing workshops. I feel the workshops gave me a deep understanding of the media, therefore I could challenge and push myself within my work.
Summary of research
To get primary research I went to the Kendal Museum and took a number of photographs of the Preserved insects they had there because in this project I am focusing on insects. However, I used the website Pinterest to get pictures of foreign insect species that I was unable to gather primary research for myself. I found doing all of these things helped me create a rounded picture of the subject i was focusing on.
In the first two weeks we covered many different drawing techniques such as mark making facial proportions, shading, gridding up and perspective drawing. This then bled into a third week where we scaled up a large scale drawing of a natural structure
The artist that most inspired me in this project would have be Angie lewin. I was inspired by her work as her work has a unique stylized 60s look, however incorporates the flora & Fauna theme. My second artis would have to be David Hockney. I favor his work because he uses vibrant coloures and interesting patterns that can bring
Experimentation and development
During this project we a visited and completed a number of different workshops, drawing techniques, mono printing, lino printing, mixed media and Photoshop. In each of these workshops we were given a practical demonstration and though how do do each method for each media. I have experience in all these medias, however, doing them in college this built my confidence within each of theses.
Throughout this project I feel that I didn’t come across any major problems within the workshops we completed, I did however, find in the lino print workshop while cutting the lino I would accidentally cut out more lino than expected. This was a problem as it is erasable.
I would have to say I enjoyed the mix media workshop the most, this is because I could experiment and collaborate different textures, patterns and materials.
For my final outcome I chose to do a collection of my best 9 prints. I chose these as they were my most high quality pieces that had been collaborated with different medias, these included, collages, cutouts and textiles. I also liked the idea of a large random selection of my final outcomes. To get a high quality result in my end result, while mounting them up I measured each print to insure they were an equal distance apart.
I feel I have improved immensely since last project, as I fell behind regularly within the blogging work and I lacked motivation. Since then I feel I have improved with meeting deadlines, time management and putting in extra time outside of college hours.
I enjoyed this project because we focused on printmaking and this is a media that I really enjoy, we briefly were introduced to this in our last project – Identity. In doing this project gave us a chance to look deeper into the media. The project brief was Organic, I mainly focused on insects because they have vibrant colours and patterns and I find them an interesting subject.
If I were to do this project again I would work more on my blogging and getting more writing onto my posts,